Would you like to work in a small school in a big community? At Prendergast Vale School we believe all our pupils can achieve success in life by working hard and being kind.
If you are passionate about physical activity and wish to inspire young people to enjoy PE and school sport, this could be the perfect role for you to earn and learn at the same time.
Alongside completing your apprenticeship qualification you will:
- provide day to day support of lessons including preparing equipment, materials and teaching aids and tidying and cleaning after use;
- issue and receive back materials, kit and equipment from students. Check for missing and damaged equipment against inventories and inform relevant teachers;
- support the PE department in providing extra-curricular activities for students in the primary and secondary phases of the school;
- participate in running lunch time and after school extra-curricular activities for students;
- support students and teachers during practical work, to include setting up demonstrations and equipment, providing advice to students in the development of their tasks, including the safe operation and demonstration of equipment;
- to maintain the first aid bags;
- to check and test equipment routinely to ensure its good safe working order and to undertake maintenance, repairs and servicing where appropriate and liaise with site team / companies to organise repairs or services of equipment;
- to manage stock and equipment including stock checks ensuring sufficient replenishment of materials and recommending any additional equipment/material requirements to the head of department;
- to monitor and achieve the efficient organisation of the work and storage areas and to ensure the cleanliness, safety and security of these areas at all times;
- to assist with the delivery of the extensive extra curriculum programme including prepare equipment, materials and rooms, setting out of equipment, organising team kits and transport for fixtures and curriculum activities.
Contract: 18 month fixed term contract
- The successful candidate will need to have a strong knowledge base and skills relevant to sport within a school setting
- It will also be an essential requirement for the appointed person to have good ICT and administration skills, alongside that of being organised
- It would also be advantageous to have an awareness of current PE developments in education
A range of skills are sought in the successful candidate, inclusive of:
- A strong interest in PE and school sport
- Enjoys working with children/young people.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Able to meet the physically demanding needs of the role
- Displays an awareness, understanding and commitment to the protection and safeguarding of children and young people
It would be advantageous for the successful candidate to have prior experience of working with young people in a sporting context. Coaching qualifications or Level 2 Fitness qualifications would be a significant asset to aspiring applicants.
- GCSE at grade 4/C or above or equivalent in English and maths, however, applicants with relevant prior experience but without the stated qualifications may be considered, though must be prepared to work towards their level 1 functional skills qualifications
- Enhanced DBS clearance
- It would also be desirable for applicants to possess a Basic First Aid Certificate
- To maintain the confidentiality of information acquired in the course of undertaking duties for the department
- The post holder is responsible for his/her own self-development on a continuous basis
- To undertake other duties appropriate to the grading of the post as required
- Level 3 Teaching Assistant:
- Supporting the delivery of PE and School Sport
- Employment awareness in active leisure and learning
- Level 2 Functional Skills (where appropriate)
Prendergast Vale School is an all through school, nursery to Year 11, and rated as Good by Ofsted in February 2018. It is one of the top performing mixed schools for E-Bacc in Lewisham. The school benefits from being part of the Leathersellers’ Federation of Schools and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with colleagues across the Federation.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with a forward thinking staff and school leadership team who ensure that the academic and social development of every student is at the heart of what they do.
Interviews: Thursday 4 July 2022
Please note CVs are not accepted.
The Leathersellers’ Federation of Schools is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and all employees are required to have an Enhanced DBS Disclosure.
Appointment will be subject to qualifications, experience checks and satisfactory references.
How to apply
Please apply online. For technical difficulties, please contact the Support Team. For further information about the role, please contact the school directly.