Join our Board of Governors and help transform lives through education and learning
The Leathersellers’ Federation of Schools comprises of three non-selective, state maintained schools, each located in the Borough of Lewisham. The Federation has a single Governing Board responsible for Prendergast School (11-18), Prendergast Vale (3-16) and Prendergast Ladywell (4-16) which collectively educate over 2750 children. The aim of the Federation is to provide an excellent education for children from the local community in a safe, inclusive and supportive learning environment. We have vacancies for two co-opted Governors on our Board and are seeking applications from people residing in our local community who have a keen interest in the Federation.
We are looking for individuals who are passionate about the Federation’s aims, share its ethos and are willing to dedicate the time to be a critical friend who can help us achieve our goals. Modern governance is demanding and requires not only the highest levels of professional and personal integrity but also time to undertake continuous training and contribute to the work of the Board, its Committees and Link Governor roles.
We seek individuals who have an awareness of standards in public life, a determination to abide by them and the integrity to participate in collective decision-making in the best interests of the Federation.
Applicants will be able to demonstrate:
- An active interest in primary and / or secondary education
- A commitment to delivering academic excellence through innovation
- An ability to work positively in a team and debate issues in a constructive manner
- A commitment to promoting equality and diversity
- The capacity to shape, implement and monitor policy
- A capacity to play an active part in the work of the Governing Board, including attending meetings both within and outside of school hours.
Skill areas and experience that would be of particular interest are:
- Law (education, employment, contract)
- Education management and governance (serving or former senior leaders of schools)
- PFI, site, building and facilities expertise, land use, school building design and ICT
- Health and Safety expertise, both physical and emotional
- Marketing, PR and Communications
- Digital Economy and Social Media
Interviews: w/c 1 July 2019
For further information on the expectations, responsibilities and role of a school governor, please see the Governors Handbook published by the Department of Education at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/788234/governance_handbook_2019.pdf
We particularly welcome female applicants and those from an ethnic minority, as they are under-represented at Board level and it is a key objective that our Governing Board better represents the diverse communities it serves.
Applicants will undergo an initial screening process and a shortlist of candidates will be invited for interview by a panel comprising of the Chair, Vice-Chair and Executive Headteacher.
How to apply
To apply please download and complete the application form. Applications should be submitted to the Clerk to Governors, email firstname.lastname@example.org